Monday, November 3, 2008

On Politics and Pedometers

Last summer I received a pedometer. It was one effort to help the United Methodist clergy in Minnesota think more about their health and to pay more attention to getting some exercise. In talking with some of my clergy friends, this effort has had varying degrees of success. Some have dropped their pedometers in unhelpful places (think about where something clipped to the waist of your pants may fall). Some have lost their pedometers and some have found that they just don’t seem to work. That’s o.k. It is only a tool to help one think more about the body and its well-being, there are other tools.

I have found this tool useful, however. I like the fact that I plug my pedometer into my computer once or twice a week and it keeps track of my steps. It is rather cool to see how much one has walked. I have found that I pay more attention to getting a walk in every day, whether outside or on a treadmill. As a part of the recording of data, you can also compare yourself to other clergy in your district, and that little bit of competition can be slightly motivating – though not for all and not all the time. There is one part to the pedometer program that I have found rather absurd, however. In order to encourage more walking, the company that set up the software for the pedometers, and maintains the web site that collects the date has decided that clergy would be motivated by taking “biblical journeys.” Our mileage is compared to some of the distances traversed by Old Testament characters. When we reach certain significant “biblical milestones” we are sent congratulatory postcards. I want to be careful here and respect the fact that some may find this helpful and motivating. For me, it does little to encourage me along and I cannot say I am a raving fan of electronic postcards from the desert.

In all the time I have had my pedometer, this past Saturday was a record for number of steps in a day. While I was walking for exercise, the purpose of my walking about was also political in the broadest sense – having to do with the community and the common good – not related to a specific political party. This past Saturday, I was one of a number of volunteers working with Duluth Votes, a nonpartisan get-out-the-vote effort. Duluth Votes is targeting the ten precincts in Duluth which traditionally have the lowest voter turnout. Saturday and Sunday, information about polling places and registration procedures was distributed to every residence in these precincts. Tuesday, Election Day, further contact will be made with voters in these precincts, encouraging them to vote if they have not, and offering to get them to the polls if they need transportation. I am volunteering another three hours on Tuesday.

I am glad to have all the steps from my Saturday walking. Staying healthy is important. I am also really glad I could log some steps doing something important for my community, connecting people to the political process in a new way. No matter who is elected, we all have work to do together to tackle the problems faced by our city, our state, our nation and our world. It is good to connect with people so that we can work together in the days ahead. I am really glad to have mixed politics and pedometers, and I could care less about the postcard I am going to get in my e-mail.

With Faith and With Feathers,

David

1 comment:

Michelle said...

David -- I enjoy the pedometer too, and find it a useful gauge for how much I need to move. I like the image of steps for getting out the vote instead of steps in an ancient desert. Maybe we should get postcards concerning things we can do with our walking now!