Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Song and Thoughts to End the Year

As 2009 winds down, it is coming to an end in a flurry of activity. For the first time I can remember, I officiated at two funeral/memorial services on the same day. That was Monday. Today I officiated at another memorial service (that makes five this month). This time I was filling in for a pastor on vacation, but in many ways it was serendipitous. The funeral was held at the church I grew up in here in Duluth, and the man whose life we were celebrating was someone I knew as a kid, someone whose children I went to school with. Yes, Joni Mitchell’s “The Circle Game” has been floating around in my head a bit.

Joni Mitchell, "The Circle Game"

Rather than a short essay to finish the year, there is the gift of song (Joni Mitchell) and a couple quotes.

I have only what I remember.
W. S. Merwin, from “A Likeness” in The Shadow of Sirius

Instructions for living a life:
Pay attention.
Be astonished.
Tell about it.

Mary Oliver, from “Sometimes” in Red Bird

The function of Reason is to promote the art of life.
Alfred North Whitehead, in The Function of Reason

Remember well the year gone by and live so as to create wonderful and kind memories in the new year. Use your reason to live well. Pay attention, be astonished, tell about it.

With Faith and With Feathers,

David

2 comments:

Jeff said...

Love the Mary Oliver quote!
All the best to you and your family in the New Year!

juliemac_29 said...

I also love the Mary Oliver quote! "Pay attention, be astonished, tell about it." That's just great - thank you for that.