Friday, December 21, 2012

Resonant Thoughts

Tomorrow I will be officiating at the funeral of a lovely woman from my congregation. She died earlier this week at age 82. Three years ago, I officiated at her wedding. It was her third marriage following the loss of two previous spouses. It was an occasion filled with joy. There will be joy as we celebrate her life tomorrow, but joy marked with sadness and grief.

In the wedding reflection I offered three years ago, I included these thoughts: Of course evil and ugliness exists, as much now as ever. These get all the headlines. We all know about the bad news. Plenty of reasons for pessimism. The wrongs of the world are clear. Meanwhile, I remain astonished at the good and lovely that exists. And most of it is free and readily available if I’ll look for it. (Robert Fulgham, What On Earth Have I Done?)

In that wedding reflection, I read a poem which included these words:

We live in a world of motion and distance.
The heart flies from tree to bird,
from bird to distant star,
from star to love; and love grows
in the quiet house, turning and working,
servant of thought and a lamp held in one hand.

(from “Distances” Phillippe Jaccottet)

Somehow as I think about this funeral, as I think about the twenty-three year old making slow progress in her recovery in a local ICU, as I think about the world after Newtown, as I think about holding a candle on Christmas Eve and singing “Silent Night,” these words spoken three years ago still resonate.

With Faith and With Feathers,

David

1 comment:

Brenda said...

David,
Catching up with the past few months of your blog is a little Christmas present to myself today. Thanks for your reflections on hope, joy and faith in this vulnerable, imperfect world. As clergy, we are in a unique position to see how intertwined the beauty and pain of life can be. You have such a gift in your writing. These written reflections are really a blessing to me.
Brenda N