Wednesday, May 2, 2007

A rare midweek entry.

I have been granted the privilege of having my blog read by a member of my congregation who I consider a wise person. He is deeply thoughtful and in his life, compassionate and kind. In response to my blog he has sent me a couple of wonderful e-mails. Most recently he sent me one in which he shares something of his spiritual journey over the years, and how it has brought him back to words his Finnish father shared with him many years ago. In essence his father told him that what was most important was to live with love and compassion.
Over the past few months a number of quotes have been coalescing in my mind and heart, all of which point in the same direction. I share them here for your thoughtful consideration.

For hatred does not cease by hatred at anytime; hatred ceases by love, this is an ancient truth. Buddha (The Dhammapada [5])

Love your enemies. Jesus (Matthew 5:44a)

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Paul (Romans 12:21)

By perfection I mean the humble, gentle patient love of God and our neighbor, ruling our habits, attitudes, words and actions. John Wesley, January 27, 1767

Whatever happens,
those who have learned
to love one another
have made their way
to the lasting world
and will not leave,
whatever happens.
Wendell Berry, poem from Given

Christianity first and foremost is about being kind. Robert Neville, Symbols of Jesus

With Faith and With Feathers,

David

2 comments:

Michelle said...

These quotes rather fit the text for Sunday, don't they?

David said...

They do, though I plan to post another blog which reflects on Sundays texts in different way.